Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Knitted Christmas Stocking...

My Grandma, who was a crafty genius with the Country Women's Association, knitted hundreds of these stockings. I have many she has given me over the years to adorn my Christmas tree. As I put them on the branches I am reminded of her love and grateful for passing on her crafty genes to me.


My Mum and I have followed suit and knit them too.  They are cute, small gifts especially if a chocolate is poked in the top. I have knitted them for craft stalls.  In fact, I am knitting some in black and will embroider my daughter's dance school initials on them for a dancing school stall next week.

The stockings knit up in about 20 minutes and take about 15 minutes to sew up.

Here is the pattern:

Knitted Christmas Stocking
What you need:
Use 8 ply yarn (in chosen colour/s) and knit with Size 4mm needles. Crochet hook needle to make up.

Pattern:
Cast on 23 stitches.

Garter stitch (plain knit stitch) 8 rows.
Knit (K) 13, K2 together (tog) and turn.

Switch now to stocking stitch.
-Purl (P) 4, P2 tog, turn
-K4, K2 tog turn

Repeat the above two rows until you have 17 stitches.

Stocking stitch 12 rows.

Change yarn colour now if you desire a two-coloured stocking.
Garter stitch 6 rows.
Cast off leaving a long piece of yarn.
Using a crochet hook chain chain 20 to form the hanging loop.

Make-up:
Fold stocking in half right sides together. Mattress stitch the foot and back of stocking.  Sew the other length of chain to the top of the stocking to form a loop. Filling with chocolates is optional! Make in other colours. Green looks good too. 

Have you inherited a crafty gene? I would love to hear about who you might have inherited it from.

Thanks for playing in my garden...
                                              Jan x

4 comments:

  1. How strange to see this post - I have knitted something very similar this week, in fact I've got 10 done for a stall at our local community centre that's coming up soon. They will be filled with sweetie treats for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very cute knitted stocking. Thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, super cute!
    My mum left me a whole room stuffed with yarn (and cross stitch things). I keep telling myself I WILL do something with some of that yarn...lol I'm all talk though and no action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I'm trying to make these cuties but stuck after 8 rows garter with 23 stitch the pattern says knit 13 tog then turn....what about the rest of stitches?

    ReplyDelete